Sunday, September 25, 2011

Of Mountains and Aching Legs

Yes! I can put a little gold star next to a resolution (except that I don't have it really set up that way). One of my goals was to hike in the mountains once a month. I mean, they're only 30 - 60 minutes away (depending on where you're going) so why not enjoy them? I have always loved the mountains, having spent multiple summers in Colorado as a child on family vacations. The mountains here are the Blue Ridge Mountains and even though I've seen the grandeur of the Rockies, I love my Appalachians best of all.

We drove up to Mile Marker 422 on the Blue Ridge Parkway to a summit called Devil's Courthouse. It got its name from many folk legends in the area, including an idea that there's a cave in the mountain where the devil holds court. There's also a Cherokee legend about a slant-eyed giant named Judaculla who used to live and dance in there (I like that legend better but then I tend to enjoy Native American mythology). The hike to the summit is one mile but it is a very steep and strenuous hike. The view is completely worth it!

After we went hiking there, we drove a little further down the parkway and got off on NC 215 to head to Courthouse Falls. I have a book on North Carolina Waterfalls. One of my lifetime goals is to visit nearly every single fall listed in the book. I know that some might have changed or disappeared in the years since the book was published but I still think it's a good goal. Courthouse Falls was a new one for us and it was a nice, even hike, although the stairs to the base were pretty steep. It is a waterfall that is beautiful to see, but unfortunately it doesn't translate well to film - at least, not to my film! It kind of looks like a white blob! I love waterfalls and I had a perfect moment standing at the top of the stairs to the base (Chris and I took turns waiting up there with the puppies because they were not dog-friendly steps). It was a beautiful cool autumn day. The rushing of the waterfall filled my ears. There was a gentle breeze blowing and yellow leaves just kept tumbling down through the air to land at my feet. It was a beautiful, peaceful moment in nature, something I truly needed to ground myself and restore balance.

For me, that's what nature does. It grounds me, reconnects me to the Earth, restores my inner spiritual balance. The rustling of trees, the roaring rush of a waterfall, the clear song of a bird, the smell of the first of the fallen leaves dying into the soil - to me, wandering through the Blue Ridge Mountains is like Heaven on Earth.

It was also a good bit of exercise (as my sore muscle legs tell me today). That brings me to another two of my resolutions: to eat healthy and to exercise. I've said many times that I'm going to improve in that area. I start but then I slack off. Now is the time for me to take it seriously. In fact, I even bought a new DVD from Target today called "Dancercise" which has four dancing work-outs in it (jazz, hip-hop, salsa, and belly dancing). Dancing is one of the things that brings me joy. I love music and moving to music. I think that this will be a good start to getting me on the right path to a healthier, happier, in-shape me!

No comments:

Post a Comment