Monday, September 19, 2011

Puppy Love

I'm spending a quiet evening of "me time" at home with just my two puppies as company. You know, I really do love those two. Yes, dogs are a lot of work and sometimes it's a pain to get up at 6:30 on a Saturday morning to take them out but they are also such a great source of constant joy. In this house on work days, I get home first (except on Fridays). Hard day at work? There's nothing quite as uplifting as an excited puppy face greeting you when you open the door. They're so happy to see you and to be petted. You know they'd be crying, "Hi, Mom! Welcome home!" if only they had the right vocal chords for speech.

Dogs are also a great source of constant love. They show only affection. They are loyal, playful, and carefree. They love you unconditionally. Perhaps these are lessons that they can teach us human beings.

Each dog is a unique creature of nature. Take my two, for example. Sebastian is a Welsh Corgi and the oldest at six years. He is incredibly well-behaved, patient, adoring, and calm. If he is sitting next to you on the couch, he will happily crawl into your lap and look up at you with his big brown eyes that say, "I love you. You're awesome." Atreyu is the youngest at only eleven months so he is still very much a puppy! He is a pit bull/boxer mix and quite a little spitfire. He loves to play, especially if it involves throwing his Kong toy for him to chase. He's also quite content curling up next to you on the couch with his head resting against your legs or knees. Atreyu is definitely a pack animal. He will follow you anywhere in the house as long as he's by you. Sebastian is content sometimes to go off by himself but when he is with the dogs of our friends, his herding instincts take over (the Welsh use them to herd sheep) and he likes to keep everyone in line!

I won't lie to you. I'll admit that sometimes owning a dog (or two) can be a bit stressful or expensive. Atreyu's stubbornness (that's the boxer in him) can sometimes make me mad, but you know what? I wouldn't give up either dog for the world. I love my two little boys!

1 comment: